Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Greek Gryos

Ok, you know the drill...the new RR magazine came. I highly recommend everyone pick up this issue. I usually dog ear recipes that I want to try...I dog eared the entire magazine! I adjusted this recipe a bit, so here goes. It was so good, but I will add more seasonings next time. I was eyeballing it, and we ended up adding more salt and pepper. The recipe calls for ground lamb which is very high in points (to the tune of 4 pts per 2 oz). I did use lamb tonight. I think it would be awesome with ground chicken or turkey, which is how I will probably make it next time.

Greek Gyros
Serves 4

Sauce:
8 oz light sour cream
1/2 cucumber, finely diced
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
salt and pepper

Gyro:
1 lb ground lamb
1 slice light bread made into crumbs
2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 poblano or cubanelle peppers, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste
4 flatbreads or pitas (I used flatout brand wrap bread)

Mix ingredients for sauce together and put in fridge.

Combine lamb, bread, 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, and ginger. Form into 4 patties. Spray pan with cooking spray. Cook burgers on medium high heat (about 6 minutes each side). Remove from pan and set aside.

Add the peppers, onion, garlic, parsley, 1 teaspoon cumin, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. During that 5 minutes, wrap pita bread in foil and place in low heat oven and chop up the lamb patties. Add the lamb back to the pan, increase to medium-high heat and cook a few more minutes.

Place 1/4 of meat and 1/4 of sauce in each pita or flat bread. Add lettuce and tomatoes if you so desire.

1 comment:

Gail said...

Was this the October issues? Hmmm...sounds good.